Each should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion,
for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:6
What is the Parish Giving Scheme?
- A tool designed to support planned giving in the local church.
- A simple and effective means for people to donate to their church by regular Direct Debit payments on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis.
Background and key figures
- Developed by the Diocese of Gloucester; gifted to the national Church of England in 2014.
- A charitable company owned by participating Dioceses – currently 13.
- Last year, over £9.9 million was donated to churches through the PGS, including £1.93m in Gift Aid.
- The Diocese of Exeter officially launched the scheme in March 2015, following a successful pilot.
- We currently have 164 parishes registered across the Diocese. In November 2016, 1,599 donations were received by parishes via the scheme, totalling £116,854.
Benefits for the Parish
The Parish Giving Scheme is designed entirely to benefit parishes, helping churches to plan for the future.
- No cost to the parish.
- Resources and support provided by the diocesan Mission Resources Team.
- Reduction in administration for the PCC Treasurer: Gift Aid is automatically processed, and the need to handle large amounts of cash and envelopes is reduced.
- Increased cash flow: donations, plus Gift Aid, returned to the church bank account within a short period.
- Donors can opt to increase their giving annually in line with inflation.
Benefits for the donor
- Can be used for donations of any size – and gifts can be adjusted at any time, no questions asked.
- You will be supporting your church regularly – even if you miss the odd Sunday service!
- No need for loose change or envelopes – token provided.
- Effective Gift Aid administration.
- Option to increase gift annually with inflation.
- Option to be an anonymous donor.
If you wish to discuss this scheme confidentially please speak to the Church Treasurer or Revd David Sayle
Tel: 01548 821199