Diptford and North Huish are situated in the Avon Valley, an area of outstanding natural beauty. Although nestled in this lovely valley, a short drive away lies Plymouth, Exeter, Dartmouth, Salcombe, Kingsbridge, Totnes and Dartmoor etc., offering Diptford the best of both worlds.
We are a community of around 900 people consisting of all sorts including doctors, teachers, those working within the farming community and retireds. A busy village with lots going on in the Parish Hall, the Primary school and numerous organisations.
For almost 800 years the village of Diptford has had a church at its centre. St. Mary the Virgin is a medieval structure and the first Rector was appointed in 1226, with the 19 year old monarch Henry III as patron.
The granite pillars and arches of the main body of the church, and parts of the tower are some of the oldest features, dating from around the thirteenth century. The window on the south side of the chancel also dates from the early thirteenth century and is the oldest window in the church.
The western tower tapers towards the summit and is covered with a stone broach spire, one of the few stone spires in Devon.
The aisles are thought to date from the fifteenth century and the altar table in the chapel is probably the oldest furnishing of the church. Above the porch you will find the sun-dial, made in 1694, it reminds us that “As time and hours passeth away, so doth the life of man decay”.
Much has been changed and added to St. Mary’s in the last two centuries, the tiled area by the choir, the stained glass windows and the clock tower, the addition of the organ chamber to the side of the chancel followed by the carved oak screen at the front of the church and the altar rail.
St. Mary the Virgin Church in North Huish, a fine example of 15th century architecture, despite fierce opposition was declared redundant in 1993, this resulted in the merger of our two parishes to become Diptford with North Huish.
Churchwarden: Val Haddy
Rector Revd David Sayle Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Verger: Val Haddy
Parish Safeguarding Representative: Val Haddy Tel: 01548 821418
All our churches can be found on the Church of England website: