The parish of Harbertonford was constituted in 1859, carved out of the neighbouring parish of Harberton. The Parish Church of St Peter was constructed at that date, designed by J Nottidge. The majority of its funding was donated by one person, Mrs Thomascene Anthony of Great Englebourne, who gave £2,000 – equivalent to some £230,000 today.
Later, parishioners raised enough to pay for the installation of an organ to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887. It’s tucked away on the right of the picture opposite. Constructed from stone, the church has a spire with a single bell. The chancel windows are stained glass.
When the church was built, the village of Harbertonford was a thriving, industrial community with a mill (then operating as a corn and starch mill – it later reverted to its original function as a woollen mill and went on making, principally, serge blankets until the 1950s) and a manufacturer of shovels and reaping hooks! It boasted three shops and no less than four pubs – one of which, the Maltster’s Arms, brewed its own beer. It must have been thirsty work!
Churchwarden: Frances Harvey
Rector Revd David Sayle : 01548 821199 email: email@example.com
Parish Safeguarding Representative: Hazel Willis Tel: 01803 732672
All our churches can be found on the Church of England website: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/